How To Use Tech To Make Your Job Hunt Easier
The internet has changed so many aspects of life for the better. Moreover, technology has been essential during the coronavirus pandemic. Although the majority of businesses over the entirety of the USA (and, indeed, the world) have had to close to stop the spread of the virus, they have been able to continue working thanks to the advancement of technology.
However, the coronavirus pandemic has hit business hard. As a result, over 40 million Americans filed for unemployment during the peak of the virus. If you or your family have lost a job as a result of the pandemic, you may have been on the job hunt for a while.
The internet has not only made it easier for businesses to thrive, but it has also made the search for a job much easier. However, the current unstable economy means that more applicants are applying for roles. You can improve your chances of getting a job by using technology to your advantage. Here are some of the ways you can use the internet and technology to assist with your job hunt.
Make the most of social media
Social media is now a powerful tool for recruitment. It has been estimated that over 94% of employers now use social media to promote vacancies. Here are some of the social media sites you should be using to make your job search easier.
LinkedIn is possibly the most useful site for anyone who is looking for employment. It is a social networking site for professionals. Here are some of the ways you can use LinkedIn to your advantage.
- Create an online CV: LinkedIn has tools to help you create a profile that can highlight your work experience, skills, and achievements. Unlike a regular CV, LinkedIn allows you to discuss each role in detail. If you attach your LinkedIn profile to your regular CV, recruiters will be able to learn more about you, which could help you get a role quicker.
- Make the most of the job board: if you are struggling to find roles that you are suitable for, LinkedIn has a job board that has thousands of roles published on it. You can also apply for many roles using just your LinkedIn profile.
Although you may assume that Facebook is a personal social media site, it is a great way to improve your chances of getting a job offer. Because Facebook is used by hundreds of millions of Americans, it is now being used by many employers to advertise roles.
If you want to make the most of Facebook on your job hunt, make sure you fill out the ‘work and experience’ section of your Facebook profile.
Use a CV template or a digital CV
Because the job market is so saturated at the moment, you need to do everything you can to stand out from the crowd. Fortunately, many different online sites can help you create a CV that will stand out from the rest. BuzzCV is one of the best and is a free online CV builder. They have over 20 professional templates that can be easily customized. These layouts will make your CV easier to read, more concise, and more eye-catching. This means that you will be more likely to get noticed by recruiters who have to sift through piles of thousands of CVs, and you will be more likely to get an interview or even a job.
If you want to make your job application stand out even more, why not create a digital CV? This can either be a link that you can attach to any job applications you send, or you can create a digital CV. This would be a website that has different pages that highlight your skills, achievements, and work experience in the style of a web page. Although slightly untraditional, a website CV will certainly get you noticed.
Use tech to get organized
Job hunting can be an incredibly draining process, especially if it is something that you have been doing for several months. If you are getting bored of searching for jobs every day, you may have started forgetting to jobs you have found. If you are struggling to keep up, here’s how technology can help you get organized on your job hunt:
- Set reminders on your smart speaker: if you have a smart speaker (or even a smartphone), you should consider setting yourself daily reminders to apply for specific jobs.
- Use apps: there are millions of apps that are available to download, and many have been designed to help people like you find the perfect job. There are a few apps that offer unique opportunities that other, more standard, sites may not offer. If you are struggling to find many roles to apply for, job application apps could give you a boost in the right direction.
- Set yourself a schedule: because job hunting can be so draining, it isn’t something that you spend all day on. Instead, you should allow yourself an hour or two a day to search. Use your phone or computer to schedule ‘job searching’ sessions into your online calendar. This way, you will get reminders for when you need to start searching and will allow you to keep track of everything you are doing.
Take an online personality test
A personality test, such as the Myers-Briggs personality test (which can be found at BuzzCV), will help you understand your personality better, which means that you will be able to figure out which sort of job you will be best suited for. Moreover, if you attach your completed personality test on your job application, recruiters will also be able to see that you have the desirable qualities that they are looking for.
Job hunting can be tiring and tricky. If you are searching for the perfect role, make sure you utilize technology to help you get the job you want faster.