Why IT Certifications Are a Great Step Into the Tech Industry
When you are looking to change your life and find a new career with steady job growth, you need to know all of the options available to you. One of those options is an IT Certification from a local or online college like Independence University. Getting an IT Certification is probably something that you have heard someone talk about before, but even with all of the talk about an IT Certification you might find yourself asking, “Well, what exactly is an IT Certification and where can I get one?” You have heard the TV ads, you probably even have a friend who talks about it, but here we will break down what exactly an IT Certification is, how it can be a benefit to you, and where you can get an IT Certification in Utah.
What Type of IT Certification
When you start looking into IT Certifications for the first time, you quickly learn that there are many different types of IT Certifications. At this moment you are probably asking yourself, “What kind of IT Certification do I get?” It may seem daunting at first, but with a little research, it is easy to find the certification that is right for you and that will lead to the job you want. The best way is to find a comprehensive list of what each IT Certification does and then start researching what appeals to you the most.
Here are five of the main IT Certifications to get you started:
- CISSP (Certified Information Systems Security Professional)
- This certification mostly deals with information security. This is an ideal certification for those wanting to get into cyber security.
- This IT Certification covers basic and general IT Fundamentals. It’s a great place to begin your journey into the tech world and is vital for the IT field.
- There are several different levels and paths that you can choose with the Cisco Certification, but this certification is all about networking.
- This certification is all about the cloud. If you are interested in information storing then this IT Certification might interest you.
- There are a few certifications that deal with Citrix (like CCP-V and CCA-N). However, the main point of this IT Certification has to do with virtualization (creating things virtually). Think of it as an engineer who creates things virtually first.
Though not a comprehensive list, the information for these five IT Certifications are to get you started so that you have a base as you start going out and researching some certifications on your own.
Are IT Certifications Worth the Time?
Getting a computer science certification takes time. It is not unlike getting a bachelor’s degree in that you have to put in the time, study, and pass exams to earn your certification. This can seem daunting, and it can be. Earning anything takes a lot of work and dedication. However, your willingness to earn the certification shows your dedication to the tech world and shows employers that you were serious enough about this job to earn the certification that would be the best fit for it. Earning an IT Certification costs money, and when you are trying to improve your career while still working another job, it can be a much bigger cost than just the actual value of the money you are spending. However, as cio.com points out, the statistics show that earning a computer science certification does lead to positive job growth.
Certifications also ensure that you are staying on top of the tech world even though it is constantly changing. When you earn IT Certifications you are showing employers that you are trying to keep your skills up-to-date and relevant. It is one thing to get into the tech world, but it is another to stay on top of your game while you are in it. With the tech world changing every day, this is vital to help you stick out to employers.
Marketability of an IT Certification
One of the great things about earning an IT Certification is that they stand out on your resume. When you can show an employer that you have the official credentials to do the job, it puts you that much higher above the other applicants. Getting an IT Certification is not a “cure-all,” but, with hard work and a determination, it is an opportunity to improve your career. Which is something that can be a great benefit for you and your family. Getting an IT Certification can be a big step, but it is one worth taking.