Tech for the Smart Driver
The word ‘smart’ has become a part of our vocabulary, with smartphones, smart homes and many other devices and new tech gadgets that we are beginning to see, and if you want to integrate smart tech into your vehicle, here are a few features you can enjoy.
- GPS – Where would we be without Google Maps or a similar platform to show us the best route, which even calculates shorter routes and can warn about heavy traffic. Thanks to Bluetooth technology, you can integrate with any digital platform, plus there is ‘saved journey’ mode, and with vocal commands, you can safely navigate to your destination.
- In-Car Entertainment – If you check out the latest generation of car stereo, you will find a unit that can play a wide range of media; CD, DVD, USB and Internet streaming radio, plus the expected AM/FM radio, of course. Not everyone wants video playback in their car and there are units that do not play video, but you can add as many screens as you wish, should you choose to have video capability.
- Hands-Free Telephone – Wirelessly linked to your smartphone, the media unit allows you to receive and make calls using vocal commands, which is the safest way. You can also hotspot from your smartphone and use platforms such as Skype, Line and Zoom, which enables VoIP technology.
- Front & Rear Cams – These are really great for parking in tight spots, plus the dashcam is always recording and should you be involved in an accident, you have video footage. The same supplier as in-car entertainment would also sell front & rear cams that activate by motion sensor, recording when a person touches the vehicle. Top rated products are guaranteed for 3 years and are easy to install, with step-by-step instructions, and you could ask the in-car audio shop to install the devices if you’re afraid of damaging the upholstery.
- Cruise Control – All premier cars have cruise control, which is great for those long, boring stretches of highway and we are not far from having driverless vehicles controlled by AI, using the Internet of Things. We already have driverless cars in some US States and we can expect to see this emerging technology once the 5G satellite grid is in orbit; something that Elon Musk and SpaceX are currently implementing. Click here for information about electric cars, which will be the future of motoring,
- Remote Start – Great for the cold weather, you can start your car and set the climate control while still in your home, which can be done via Bluetooth and a smartphone app. You can expect to see this as standard on new models and the ignition key’s days are numbered.
When looking for tech auto gadgets, you are advised to buy from the online supplier, who can offer the lowest prices, due to not having the huge costs of a retail outlet. If you drive a newish prestige car, it is likely you will have many of the above features as standard, and the only upgrade would be to replace the standard sound system with a multimedia player.